Wicked Rhody podcast hosts Mary and Ben talk about Rhode Island events for the week of 10/10/16, including: Ronald McDonald House, Providence Women’s Classic, 50th Annual Scituate Art Festival, The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular, Providence Roller Derby Home Team Championship Doubleheader, Breaktime Bowling: Pawtucket, RI PRONK.
Special Olympics has a sweet deal with Dunkin Donuts. From Oct. 2 through Oct. 8, 25 cents from every individual donut sold will be donated to Special Olympics Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Wicked Fun in the 401
- Ronald McDonald House Providence Women’s Classic
- Certified, flat and fast 5k (3.1 miles) and 3k (1.8 miles) courses from the Brown University Stadium through the scenic and historic East Side of Providence, and finishing in Olympic style on the Brown University Track.
- Kids Activities, Wellness Fair, Great Prizes – The Johnson Controls 5k and the Cardi’s Furniture & Mattresses 3k Walk
- 50th Annual Scituate Art Festival – FREE
- 200 talented exhibitors. Stroll along a Village Green that’s brimming with over 200 fine artists, craft exhibitors and antique vendors on an Autumn afternoon during Columbus Day Weekend.
- The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular
- Join your family and friends for this amazing fall tradition: A nighttime display of 5,000 illuminated jack-o-lanterns all along our beautiful Wetlands Trail, with well over 100 of the pumpkins carved into veritable works of art. The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular is presented by Citizens Bank.
- PLEASE NOTE: The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular is open rain or shine, however, in cases of severe weather or weather-related technical difficulties we might close the event or end admission early.
- Providence Roller Derby Home Team Championship Doubleheader
- It has been determined! The Mob Squad and The Sakonnet River Roller Rats will face each other in the Championship game! But Old Money Honey’s fans don’t fret! You can still watch them take on a local team in the opening game! It will be Saturday October 8, 2016 and doors open at 5:30 PM. Game 1 @ 6PM Old Money Honey’s vs. Boston Common and Game 2 @ 8:30 PM Mob Squad vs. Sakonnet River Roller Rats. It is at the West Warwick Civic Center 100 Factory St. W. Warwick, RI
- Adult General Admission: $10 at the door / $10 online Kids 5-12: $5 Under 5: FREE!
- Breaktime Bowling: Pawtucket, RI
- Old School duckpin bowling in one of Pawtucket’s revitalized mills
Wicked Family Friendly
- PRONK – FREE
- A joyous reclamation of public space! Lively, colorful, loud brass bands from around the world. Hard-working, devoted community activists who work for justice and peace. Youth and volunteer-run festival. Non-commercial, non-corporate, no vendors, fully human-powered. 100% free to the public.
- 16 bands and 16+ local community and activist organizations
- This year, they are HONK!ing in support of the Community Safety Act. It is their hope that they can use celebratory music, dance, art to bring widespread attention to such an important cause in our city.
- Rough schedule:
- 3pm: Performances at Burnside Park/ Kennedy Plaza
- 5pm: Parade down S Water St
- 6-10pm: Performances by Hot Club and Hurricane Barrier
We want to thank Dbronco27 & TShitta for their iTunes Reviews
This week’s sponsor: The RI Festival of Children’s Books and Authors
- The Festival will take place on Saturday, October 15th from 9:00 – 5:30
- 13 authors and illustrators will be featured – there is a total of 16 Newbery, Caldecott and Coretta Scott King medals recipients among them.
- Authors will speak for 30 minutes and sign books throughout the day
- There will be crafts, food trucks, tattoos, face painting, storytelling and so much more!
- This is a fun day for the entire family!
- Admission is $5. For a full listing of performances and activities, visit www.lincolnschool.org/bookfestival or call Lincoln School